Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
It's amazing how something so simple can be so good! Fresh asparagus spears sauteed in extra virgin olive oil with garlic, lemon thyme, Dijon mustard, and fresh lemon. Delicious! I will never go back to plain old steamed asparagus. Serve either hot, cold, or at room temperature. This is a great make-ahead dish.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb asparagus spear, washed and trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, thyme, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, lemon slices, and salt & pepper; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not over cook.
- Arrange on serving platter and squeeze with fresh lemon juice.
- Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.
I really enjoyed this recipe. It is also a nice change from the balsamic vinegar ones. The lemon is a more subtle flavour & the mustard gives it the tang. I'm not a huge fan of Dijon so I substituted Deli mustard for some of the Dijon. It was very tasty & easy to make. Thanks for sharing.
I was very happily surprised by this recipe; I was looking for something a little different, and this fit the bill! I couldn't find lemon thyme leaves and had to use regular thyme. My asparagus took longer than 5 minutes to get to the texture that we like, so I added the lemon juice to the skillet and let them "steam" in the lemon juice for an additional few minutes. The Dijon was not overpowering at all and, with the thyme, added the perfect hint of new flavors. I will be making this again! It was a big hit on my Easter table. Thanks for sharing. Made for PRMR Tag Game.