Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since I make this recipe for my BBQ get togethers, the amounts I have listed will make a ton of skewers, you might want to reduce the recipe to half and only use two steaks which should give you about 20-25 skewers (yield is only estimated) or make the complete recipe to feed a crowd! The amounts stated for the dipping sauce will yield about 4-1/2 cups, you might also want to reduce to half. To save time slice the meat a day ahead, and to make slicing easier, partially freeze the steaks before slicing for about 15 minutes. Plan ahead the dipping sauce needs to be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving, or make 24 hours in advance, and the beef strips needs to marinade for 8 hours. This recipe also works well using pork strips! This is delicious, and a real crowd-pleaser!
Top Review by diner524
When I saw that a cook-a-thon was going on for you and knew my son wanted marinated steak, I looked for your steak recipes and luckily found this recipe. I just love lemon so I started the marinade right away and but in a 3/4 lb. sirloin steak. I cut the recipe in half and followed as written except didn't cut the steak for skewers. It didn't marinade the full 8 hours, only 5-6 hours, and the last hour was out at room temperature. I then put it on the grill, at which point I added seasoned salt and pepper, and cooked to med-well. My 16 yo DS and I really enjoyed this steak and will definitely make it again, and try other meats!!! Served it with grilled onions, baked potato and green beans!!! Thanks for sharing Kit.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (can use a little less oil if desired)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- Tabasco sauce or red pepper, spice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs flank steaks (4, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- 50 (12 inch) wooden skewers
LEMON DIPPING SAUCE
- 2 (16 ounce) containers sour cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons horseradish (can use less to taste)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (can use more)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the flank steak; in a bowl combine the oil, zest, lemon juice, garlic, Tabasco and black pepper; transfer to a large heavy-duty Ziploc plastic bag.
- Add in the sliced beef and seal bag tightly; turn to coat the beef with marinade.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- For the dipping sauce; combine all ingredients in a glass bowl; cover and chill a for about 3-24 hours before using.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef from marinade and discard the marinade.
- Thread each slice of marinated steak onto 1 skewer and place onto a large baking sheet.
- Season each beef skewer with seasoned salt and more black pepper.
- Place on a medium grill (about 350-375°F).
- Grill until desired doneness (I usually grill them for about 8 minutes turning once or twice).
- Serve with lemon dipping sauce.