Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great use of leftover chicken, and it sure doesn't taste like leftovers. You could easily double this recipe. Servings sizes (for two people) are pretty substantial. This is great served with my Green Beans Amandine (also on Zaar).
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces (appx. 2 chicken breasts)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (use fresh since you'll need the zest anyway)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 slices toast, sliced thick (sourdough is great)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter in the saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly until blended. Take care not to let burn.
- Gradually add the milk and cream and stir until thickened and smooth (3-5 minutes).
- Add the pepper, chicken, lemon juice, zest, and salt (to taste). Simmer until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Ladle over toast, top with parsley, and serve immediately.