Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Gourmet. Nov. 1990
- 4 celery ribs, cut diagonally into 1/3-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts (blanched for 12 minutes in boiling salted water, or until they are tender, and drained)
- In a heavy saucepan cook the celery in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
- Stir in the celery seeds and the flour and cook the mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the sauce, stirring, until it is smooth and thickened.
- Stir in the zest, the lemon juice, and the Brussels sprouts and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the Brussels sprouts are heated through. Transfer the creamed Brussels sprouts to a heated serving dish.