I found this recipe a few days ago on one of my foodie blogs, made it almost immediately, and I now have a new favorite. I'll be making this many times over until I'm sick of it, if that can be possible. Many years ago I used to be a vegan and went carnivore, but if I had had this around, I might have stuck with it a little longer. I alter the recipe here and there, and have posted a few changes. The original recipe states that this is for 4, but I could just graze on this all day long.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fine grain sea salt
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (canned is fine, if you don't want to cook up a pot of dried chickpeas)
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup of chopped kale (I've also used spinach)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (I don't even peel them)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil In a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in a big pinch of salt, the onion, and chickpeas.
- Saute until the chickpeas are deeply golden and crusty.
- Stir in the tofu and cook just until the tofu is heated through, just a minute or so.
- Stir in the kale and cook for one minute more.
- Remove everything from the skillet onto a large plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, add the zucchini and saute until it starts to take on a bit of color, two or three minutes.
- Add the chickpea mixture back to the skillet, and remove from heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, taste, and season with a bit more salt if needed.
- Turn out onto a platter and serve.
Delicious! I'm a big fan of garlic, so I added a diced clove. Next time I think I might saute some mushrooms with the zucchini.
SO SO good! I omitted the tofu and ended up just using this dish as a side, and it was perfect. I've never toasted chickpeas like this before, and now I'm hooked. It really changes the flavor, and tastes perfect with all the other ingredients. I could it this every day :)
Yum, yum, yum!! This is great! The only changes I made were to leave out the zucchini and add mushrooms. Thanks so much for sharing!! :O)