Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Greek chicken soup revised for today's bizzy cooks! Yummy and comforting! Since you stir the eggs in it does not form 'drops' like egg drop soup. If you want 'drops' just do not stir.
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and cut up
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, raw
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- Combine broth, boullion, carrots and onions in dutch oven with 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and rice, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and lemon juice and quickly add to hot soup while stirring so eggs do not cook instantly.
- Add oregano and season with salt and pepper if desired.
If I could give this extra points for winning over picky kids, I totally would. Very yummy soup and it gets even better when saved for the next day. I used wild rice since the type of rice isn't stated. I think this is going to be my go-to recipe when I have left-over chicken. 100 stars Mama.
I made this in a crockpot on low. It was so easy and so good! I turned the crockpot to high, and added the rice an hour before we ate. Ten minutes before serving, I added the lemon egg mixture.
Excellent comforting soup! This made a very nice, quick dinner, and DH made it all by himself, which is a real bonus! We loved the lemony flavour. Yummy. Thanks mama's kitchen! Made for ZWT 4.