1 hr 20 mins
This version (adapted by Caroline Russock at Serious Eats, from Faith Durand's Not Your Mother's Casseroles) is a gorgeous reinvention of the meat-meets-pastry classic. The biscuits do not get as crispy/crunchy/flaky as a traditional pie or puff-pastry crust; this is really more of a chicken cobbler than a pot pie. :) http://bit.ly/hWJvFS
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the biscuit topping
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup milk
For the chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F Lightly grease one 2-qt baking dish (or 6 1-cup ramekins) with olive oil.
- 2To prepare the biscuit dough, whisk the 1 1/4 c flour, baking powder, salt, and parsley in a medium bowl. Cut in the cold butter and work it in with your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles soft bread crumbs. Add the milk, stirring just until the dough comes together. Set aside.
- 3Cut the chicken breasts into large bite-size pieces. Toss the pieces in a bowl with the 1/4 c flour and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 4Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large Dutch oven or sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering and giving off wisps of smoke, add the chicken and brown for about 6 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, fennel, and garlic. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and increase the heat up slightly. Cook 3-4 minutes, then add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and wine and bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown fond from the bottom of the pan. Add the peas and carrots, the broth and the chicken, and season the stew with 1 teaspoon of salt and plenty of black pepper to taste.
- 6Spread the stew in the prepared baking dish or ramekins. Drop the biscuit dough on top in 6 to 8 evenly spaced mounds (or drop one generous spoonful on each ramekin) and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked and the biscuits are golden.
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemony Chicken Pot Pie With Parsley Biscuit Crust
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.5
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 129.8 mg
- Sodium 744.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 45.9 g