Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A cheery and healthy summer meal.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cm cucumbers, cut into half moons
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 head leafy lettuce, shredded (not iceberg)
- 8 leaves mint, shredded
- 1 cup arugula
- 1⁄2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices other hearty bread, thick
- Slice the chicken into chunks about an inch big, large enough to put on a skewer.
- Place in a shallow bowl and squeeze over the juice from half the lemon along with half the olive oil, thyme leaves and half the garlic.
- Mix everything together and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the salad by putting the cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce and mint in a salad bowl.
- Make the vinaigrette in a small bowl by mixing the remaining garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar together.
- Don't pour it over the salad yet.
- Now, heat up a griddle or frying pan over a medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- At the same time, thread the chicken on to four metal skewers.
- When the griddle is hot, lay out the skewers and cook for a couple minutes per side.
- Any longer and it will be dry.
- Turn when a thin crust has formed.
- Set the cooked chicken aside.
- Finally, dunk the bread in the chicken marinade and place on the griddle.
- Cook until nicely toasted on both sides.
- Lay the toast on two plates.
- Top with the skewers and pile on the salad, including the rocket.
- Give the vinaigrette a final whisk and spoon it over the top.
- Serve immediately.