Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from the Blackberry Farm Inn in Tennessee. I found it in an old Bon Appetite magazine. The prep time does not reflect the chilling time of the pastry dough.
For the Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 4 tablespoons ice water (or more)
For the Filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- For The Crust: In a food processor, combine the flour and salt.
- Pulsing, add butter until a coarse meal developes.
- Blend in 4 tablespoons of ice water.
- Pulse until pastry forms moist clumps.
- Add more ice water if necessary.
- Gather into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350^F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry dough to form a 12 inch round.
- Transfer to a 9 inch glass pie plate.
- Fold edges under and crimp.
- For The Filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar, butter, and flour.
- Beat until well blended.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating.
- Then add the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Beat in the Buttermilk.
- Pour into pie crust and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until filling is puffy and top is brown.
- Place the pie on a rack and cool completely.