Recipe by Gingernut
A tasty side dish that I invented to go with a Greek meal.
Top Review by KitchenKelly
Very good! I did make a few changes. First, I only used 1 tablespoon butter and it was plenty. I also used fat-free low sodium chicken broth just for dietary reasons. I found it took a little longer than 50 minutes, but maybe my lid wasn't tight enough at first (I was a little hesistant of the tea-towel trick because I didn't want anything igniting in flames..lol) but I eventually did put the tea towel on and turned it up a little. I also added 1/4 cup of toasted walnuts and it tasted great. Thanks gingernut!
- 22.18 ml butter (or a little less if you are diet-conscious)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped onion
- 236.59 ml long grain brown rice
- 473.18 ml chicken stock (heated)
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 4.92-9.85 ml lemon zest, finely minced
- additional lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, saute onion in about half of the butter until soft.
- Add additional butter and allow to melt. Stir in rice and cook two minutes, stirring to coat rice with butter.
- Add chicken stock and 2 T lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cover TIGHTLY*, turn heat low, and simmer 50 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add lemon zest and additional lemon juice to taste.
- *TIP: if your pot lids aren't very tight, you can put a few layers of grease-proof paper or a clean tea-towel over the pot and jam the lid on over it.