Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A tasty side dish that I invented to go with a Greek meal.
Make and share this Lemony Brown Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (or a little less if you are diet-conscious)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock (heated)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely minced
- additional lemon juice
- In a heavy saucepan, saute onion in about half of the butter until soft.
- Add additional butter and allow to melt. Stir in rice and cook two minutes, stirring to coat rice with butter.
- Add chicken stock and 2 T lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cover TIGHTLY*, turn heat low, and simmer 50 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add lemon zest and additional lemon juice to taste.
- *TIP: if your pot lids aren't very tight, you can put a few layers of grease-proof paper or a clean tea-towel over the pot and jam the lid on over it.
Very good! I did make a few changes. First, I only used 1 tablespoon butter and it was plenty. I also used fat-free low sodium chicken broth just for dietary reasons. I found it took a little longer than 50 minutes, but maybe my lid wasn't tight enough at first (I was a little hesistant of the tea-towel trick because I didn't want anything igniting in flames..lol) but I eventually did put the tea towel on and turned it up a little. I also added 1/4 cup of toasted walnuts and it tasted great. Thanks gingernut!
This rice dish is great. I made it in a rice cooker instead of a pan with a lid. I used olive oil instead of butter to saute the onion and rice, then added it to the rice cooker with vegetable broth (didn't have any chicken broth on hand) and lemon juice. When it was done, I added the lemon zest and it was fantastic! Thanks for the recipe.
Really fantastic! I also added some chopped, toasted almonds and dried cranberries at the end, and it tasted wonderful! Will make again!