Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this simple rice & it goes well with so many meals.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse rice well. Bring to a boil 2 cups of water,salt, lemon juice & rind, bay leaf and parsley.
- Add rice. Return to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Simmer for 40 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Turn heat off and let the rice sit , covered and undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Add butter or oil and mix gently with a fork.(take bay leaf out).
Easy way to give a little extra flavor to basmati rice. I have made it with white basmati as well and just reduced cooking time to about 15 minutes. Great side dish.
Good variation on the standard rice. I did do it with white basmati rice and maybe i didn't quite wing the fluffyness that everyone talks about.The flavor was definitely on the spot, and went rather well with "spicy indian dahl recipe"
I had a bottle of lemon juice but I didn't have a lemon on hand so I added 1/2 tbsp of juice to the amount written and did everything else as directed. This went very well with Kozmic Blues' Sweet Potato Curry With Spinach and Chickpeas.