Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Lemony Beef, Vegetables & Barley One-pan cooking at its best! This flavorful barley-ground beef skillet is a perfect choice for week night family meals. Be sure to purchase quick-cooking barley - it cooks in 15 minutes.
- 1 lb lean beef, ground
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- In large nonstick skillet, cook and stir ground beef, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef up into 3/4 inch crumbles.
- Pour off drippings.
- Stir in broth, barley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover tightly; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots; continue cooking 2 to 5 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in lemon peel.