Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The lemon and garlic in this make a nice change to ordinary baked chicken, and it's so easy.
- 1 1⁄2 kg whole chickens
- 2 lemons, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon thyme, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 4 slices prosciutto
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Rinse the chickens cavity and dry with paper towel.
- Place the lemon, spring onion, chopped lemon thyme, garlic and lemon pepper in a bowl and mix together well.
- Spoon this mixture into the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie the drumsticks together with string and place on a wire rack over a baking dish.
- Brush with the oil and top with the sprigs of lemon thyme.
- Cover the breast with the slices of prosciutto.
- Cover the chicken with aluminum foil, and bake for 1 1/4 hours or until cooked through.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes to crisp the prosciutto.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Discard the stuffing.
Excellent! Truly a great roast chicken. Very easy and very flavourful. I used bacon instead of the prosciutto and it kept the breast meat moist and added a nice hint of smoky flavour. The instructions were easy to follow and roasting time was spot on.