1/1 Photo of Lemoniest Lemon Squares
1 hr 20 mins
These are the best lemon bars I've ever tried. They have a fabulously buttery crust, a not too sweet or too tart curd-like lemony filling, and a thin chewy top. The recipe is from San Francisco pastry chef Emily Luchetti's cookbook, "Classic Stars Desserts". With more than a cup of fresh lemon juice, the lemon flavour is really pronounced, the filling sets up real well and the dusted sugar makes for a beautiful presentation. NOTE: The squares can be made a day in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving. Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2 sticks or 12 tablespoons)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, approximately
- 1Crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine flour and confectioner's sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and beat on low speed until mixed. Add butter and continue to mix until the butter is the size of small peas, about 30 seconds. The mixture will be very dry. Gently press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- 2Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- 3Filling: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and then flour. Pour the filling on top of the crust.
- 4Bake until the lemon filling is set, about 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and then put in the refrigerator for an hour or keep at room temperature for three hours before cutting. Cut into squares, about 2 1/4 inches. Dust tops with confectioner's sugar.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemoniest Lemon Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1648 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.2
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.7 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 28.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g