Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A delicious, vegan version of the popular Vietnamese sandwich! Fresh and fragrant, this is a blend of marinated tofu, Spicy Shredded Root Pickle, Sriracha Veganaise and veggies piled onto crusty baguettes.
- 350 g extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons pureed lemongrass (like Gourmet Garden)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 regular French baguettes, halved crosswise then sliced in half
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sriracha sauce (or to taste)
- 1 cup spicy shredded root pickle (see Spicy Shredded Root Pickle)
- thinly sliced cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes and chopped cilantro to taste
- Wrap tofu in a clean tea towel and press under a heavy weight for 1 hour.
- Slice crosswise into ¼” pieces and set aside.
- In a large plastic bag or a shallow glass baking dish, combine the remaining ingredients and shake to distribute well.
- Add the tofu, seal the bag and gently distribute the pieces through the marinade (try to get them in one layer).
- Let marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the tofu in one layer (you will likely need to do this in batches).
- Cook the tofu until both sides are golden brown with a nice firm crust.
- Toast the baguette until golden.
- Combine the mayonnaise and Sriracha and spread evenly onto one half of each sandwich.
- Layer with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and tofu.
- Top with Recipe #504020 and cilantro to taste.