Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This superb stock has a zesty flavor that cuts through the richness of coconut milk and adds an extra dimension to curries. A simple recipe, it makes enough stock for two curries. You can use half and freeze the rest. Adapted from Fields of Greens cookbook. Enjoy!
- 4 lemongrass, stalks dried outer leaves removed, cut into 3 inch lengths
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 thin sliced rounds fresh ginger
- 10 cilantro, sprigs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 6 cups cold water
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the stock to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.
- Pour the stock through a strainer, pressing as much liquid as possible out of the vegetables.
- Discard vegetables.