Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A Vietnamese-influenced recipe midweek meal. Serve with a salad platter featuring mint, coriander, pineapple, mung bean sprouts, lime wedges and roasted peanuts. Another recipe from the first edition - September 2005 - of the new Australian magazine 'Notebook: ideas for living'.
- 12 bamboo skewers
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil, plus
- extra peanut oil, for cooking
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 750 g pork fillets, trimmed, cut into 3 cm pieces (an inch and a bit)
- 400 g dried rice noodles, cooked and drained, following packet instructions
- chili sauce, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the skewers in a bowl, cover with water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, process the lemongrass, turmeric, garlic, fish sauce, sugar oil and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until the mixture has the consistency of a paste.
- Place the paste and the pork in a bowl and stir until all the pork pieces are well-coated with the paste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat a BBQ or chargrill on a medium-high heat.
- Thread 3 pieces of pork onto each skewer, lightly brush with oil and, turning often, cook for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Divide the noodles among the individual serving bowls, top with the kebabs, and serve with the chilli sauce, and a green salad, or with a platter of salad greens, pineapple pieces, roasted peanuts and lime wedges.