Recipe by I'mPat
From our local/state paper and one of my favourite food columnist Marg Johnson. Have not included marinating time or 10 minutes.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Sensational recipe. I made a few adjustments, but they didn't affect the deliciousness of the core recipe. This is what I did and why. Unexpectedly, I needed to feed a crowd and wanted to make a one-dish meal that included veggies. I had all the ingredients on hand -- and a few more. This is what I planned to make, so I decided to forge on with a stir fry. I thin-sliced three chicken breasts and tossed the pieces in the marinade -- and left them for about 20 minutes. Also thin-sliced a red capsicum (bell pepper) and a bunch of baby bok choy. I then stir-fried the chicken, in two batches (and taste-tested to determine that this was a real winner). I set the chicken aside and then stir-fried the capsicum for a minute, then added the bok choy and stir-fried for another minute. Finally I added a 1/2 cup of chicken stock (mixed with two teaspoons of cornstarch/cornflour) and stir-fried for another minute or so -- to heat everything through. Served with steamed rice and to rave reviews. Can imagine this being used with fish pieces or calamari. Yummo!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml garlic (minced)
- 29.58 ml ginger (grated)
- 2 stick lemongrass (white part only very finely chopped)
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped green and white)
- 3 chilies (red chopped or enough to give a good bite)
- 14.79 ml palm sugar (or brown)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 lime (cut into wedges to serve)
- coriander (cilantro leaves to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim any excess fat from the thigh section and cut through the thick parts to allow the marinade to pentrate more.
- Combine ingredients down to and including the vegetable oil and add the chicken and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Then over high heat, barbecue the chicken, turning once and basting with any remaining marinade during that time.
- Serve with crisp salad leaves, a sambal, the lime wedges and garnish with the coriander leaves and steamed rice is also good.