Fresh lemongrass can be found at Asian markets, specialty greengrocers, and at many supermarkets. If unavailable use dried lemon grass (soak in hot water for 20 minutes). Or use 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Taken from Steven Raichlen's "Big Flavor Cookbook."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 566.99 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 22.18 ml honey
- 44.37 ml fish sauce or 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml minced fresh lemongrass (about 1-2 stalks)
- 22.18 ml canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 44.37 ml fresh cilantro (for garnish) (optional) or 44.37 ml mint, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
- 1Wash and dry the chicken and trim off any fat. Cut the chicken breast across the grain on the diagonal into 1/8-inch strips.
- 2Cut these strips into 2-inch pieces.
- 3Combine the chicken, honey, and 1 tablespoon fish sauce in a bowl and stir to mix.
- 4Let marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5Trim the green leaves and root end off the lemongrass stalk and strip off the outside leaves.
- 6What remains will be a greenish crea m-colored core 4 to 5 inches long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- 7Mince the core finely: You'll need about 2 tablespoons.
- 8Just before serving, heat a wok (preferably nonstick) over high heat and swirl in the oil.
- 9Add the garlic and lemongrass and stir-fry until fragrant but not brown, about 15 seconds.
- 10Add the chicken and stir-fry until the pieces turn white, about 1 minute. Move the chicken to the sides of the wok and add the o nion to the center.
- 11Stir-fry until the onion loses its rawness, about 1 minute. Mix the chicken back in the center of the wok, add the remaining fish sauce, continue stir-frying until the chicken is cooked, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 12Correct the seasoning, adding honey or fish sauce to taste. The dish should be a little sweet and salty.
- 13Sprinkle the chicken with the cilantro, if desired, and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemongrass Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.5
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 1226.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 31.4 g