Recipe by Dancer^
Fresh lemongrass can be found at Asian markets, specialty greengrocers, and at many supermarkets. If unavailable use dried lemon grass (soak in hot water for 20 minutes). Or use 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Taken from Steven Raichlen's "Big Flavor Cookbook."
Top Review by Peter Pan
I give the first star for a healthy dish (122 calories). The second star for clarity, step by step clear instruction. The third star for listing substitutions (I used grated lemon zest and reduced sodium soy sauce). The last 2 stars for the superb taste. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass (about 1-2 stalks)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (for garnish) (optional) or 3 tablespoons mint, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry the chicken and trim off any fat. Cut the chicken breast across the grain on the diagonal into 1/8-inch strips.
- Cut these strips into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine the chicken, honey, and 1 tablespoon fish sauce in a bowl and stir to mix.
- Let marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Trim the green leaves and root end off the lemongrass stalk and strip off the outside leaves.
- What remains will be a greenish crea m-colored core 4 to 5 inches long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Mince the core finely: You'll need about 2 tablespoons.
- Just before serving, heat a wok (preferably nonstick) over high heat and swirl in the oil.
- Add the garlic and lemongrass and stir-fry until fragrant but not brown, about 15 seconds.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until the pieces turn white, about 1 minute. Move the chicken to the sides of the wok and add the o nion to the center.
- Stir-fry until the onion loses its rawness, about 1 minute. Mix the chicken back in the center of the wok, add the remaining fish sauce, continue stir-frying until the chicken is cooked, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Correct the seasoning, adding honey or fish sauce to taste. The dish should be a little sweet and salty.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the cilantro, if desired, and serve at once.