Recipe by Jostlori
It is said that Indonesian food is "aromatically extravagant" because local cooks often fry their spices and other seasonings before putting them on the meats. This extra step releases essential oils and flavors, which are readily apparent in this chicken recipe. From Weber's Art of the Grill, one of my favorite cookbooks! PREP TIME DOESN'T INCLUDE 1 1/2 HOURS MARINATING AND COOLING TIME.
For the Salsa
- 3⁄4 cup mango, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup papaya, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup seedless cucumber, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon mint, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Chicken
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ot chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skin ON
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the mango, papaya, bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, mint, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or as long as 8 hours. Bring to room temp before serving.
- Cut away any hard parts of the lemongrass stalks. Slice crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices. In a food processor or blender, combine the lemongrass, ginger, chile sauce, curry and 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil. Puree until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the pureed mixture until the aroma is apparent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the soy sauce, lime juice, and 1/4 cup water. Cool to room temperature.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Pour the cooled puree mixture over the chicken and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 8 hours.
- Lightly brush the cooking grate with oil. Place the chicken breasts, skin side down, over indirect medium heat. Grill, turning once, until the meat is opaque throughout and the juices run clear, 10-12 minutes.
- Serve the chicken breasts warm with the tropical salsa.