Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
(From Vegetarian Times, May 2008). "Haley Fredrickson has been a vegetarian for 16 years, and she concocted this recipe to create a healthful treat free of refined sugars and white flour."
- 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 3⁄4 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. In small bowl, whisk together soymilk, brown rice syrup, oil, and lemon flavoring.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix well by hand.
- Gently fold in raspberries. Fill the cups of 12-cup muffin tin two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let muffins cool on cooling rack so bottoms do not become soggy.
I was very happy to find a healthy muffin recipe that didn't have a long list of special ingredients that I don't know how to substitute. However, after mixing these up, I realized that the amount of flour is off. I added another cup and mixed again, then had to mix them a third time when I realized I forgot the oil. Needless to say, they were quite heavy but the flavor was nice. I will be trying these again with the full amount of flour, not to mention the oil. I'm hoping they turn out, because I sure would like a good, simple. healthy muffin recipe.