Recipe by Elmotoo
A variation of this recipe arrived in my inbox & was a perfect post-Thanksgiving meal. I successfully subbed preserved lemon since I had no fresh lemons. ;) I would bet that this recipe originally called for preserved lemons. As you go along, DO check for salt as you add preserved lemon. *I* rinsed my lemons. Rumor has it you don't NEED to.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 preserved lemon, minced
- 6 cups homemade turkey stock
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups chopped leftover cooked turkey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add the grated onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped garlic and cook another minute, then mix in the turmeric, cumin, ground ginger.
- Pour turkey stock and add the minced preserved lemon. Bring to a simmer, then add the barley. Simmer gently until the barley is cooked, about 20-30 minutes.
- When the barley is cooked through, add the chopped turkey, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently just until the turkey is warmed through, about 3-5 minutes.