Recipe by KlynnPadilla
From Taste of Home / Kay Seiler. Cooking time includes four hours of cooling.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (4 5/8 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup lemonade concentrate
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg yolks in a small mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the pudding mix, milk and sour cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat gradually whisk 1 Celsius of the hot filling into the egg yolks; return the mixture to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat and gently stir in lemonade concentrate; keep warm.
- Add lemon juice and cream of tartar to egg whites and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over filling, sealing edges to pastry. Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.