Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from a late 30's era cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. Making the syrup is more time consuming, but it makes the best lemonade, because the sugar has been heated and disolved
- To make the syrup, gently boil 4 cups sugar and 4 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a clean container and refrigerate.
- To mix lemonade, combine all ingredients, and chill.
- Add freshly sliced lemon rind.
- I have also prepared this recipe using"Splenda" instead of sugar--it came out a little too sweet for my tastes, so I add extra lemon juice.
Well this is a blessing in these blistering days at home in Western NY. I was looking for a lemondade mix to make at home that was sweet but not too sweet. It was suggested I try yours. I am so glad I did! It is sweet and has loads of lemn flavor. As I wanted to reduce the amount of sugar for healthy reason I cut the sugar in 1/2 the 2nd batch and although less sweet it has tons of flavor from the lemon to make me want tp pucker up. DH likes this part! I LOVE it like this. DH likes it a bit sweeter so he adds in a 1/2 tsp of sugar to his for swetness. I did try it with Truvia in a glass. I like it but not as much. No bitterness after which is great for my diabetic friends and family members. When they come over I mix the lem0nade sans sugar and everyone can add their own. Thank you.
This is an awesome recipe! I also added whole fresh cherries and blended them with the lemon juice. It was great!
I made this recipe on 7/12/09 for the " Comfort Cafe " event. Aside from cutting this recipe in half, it was made as written. It was a little tart, and a little sweet. Exactly what a good lemon-aid should be. Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "