Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This chicken is browned on the stovetop, then baked and basted with the lemonade from the pan. Adapted from Blue Plate Specials and Blue Ribbon Chefs by Jane and Michael Stern. Time does not include 2-hour marination/refrigeration. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds interesting enough!
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 cup water
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix lemonade concentrate and water in small bowl. Pour over chicken in larger bowl. Refrigerate 2 hours or longer. Drain chicken and retain liquid.
- Mix together flour, salt, and pepper in a small paper bag. Add well-drained chicken, one piece at a time. Grasp bag closed and shake to flour chicken evenly.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add floured chicken; cook until evenly browned, turning pieces over carefully.
- Remove chicken and arrange in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Brush chicken with melted butter. Add reserved lemonade.
- Bake, uncovered, about 1 hour, basting chicken with lemonade from pan every fifteen minutes. About 15 minutes before chicken is done, drain off excess juice from pan.