Recipe by zeldaz51
This could also be a side dish, or you could serve the ribbons with a marinara sauce. Press down hard with the peeler to get even ribbons. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted (jarred is fine)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the roasted pepper through the salt in a blender jar. Puree until smooth.
- Slice off the ends of the squash, cut it in half lengthwise,and use a SHARP vegetable peeler to cut it into long, thin ribbons, going perpendicular to the cut side. You should have 3 cups. Use a mandoline instead of a peeler, if you have one.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini ans rosemary and cook, stirirng, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Divide the zucchini into 4 portions in small dishes. Place a dollop or the red pepper puree in the center of each.