Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adding lemon to traditional zucchini bread is a great way to bring out the vegetable's unique flavor. Lemon zest adds a touch of summer to this sweet zucchini bread!
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, beat together the zucchini, sugar, egg, and oil. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest. Stir the flour mixture into the zucchini mixture just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from heat, and cool about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Nice change to the usual bread recipe. I had one zucchini and wasn't sure if there was enough for a double recipe, this one was perfect for the one I shredded -it was exactly 1 1/2 cups! I like the addition of the lemon zest, the cinnamon flavour was very subtle and did not overpower the lemon. I added 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and baked mine at 350 degrees for an hour, done to perfection.
This is a great tasting zucchini bread! A wonderful unexpected taste of lemon.
I reduced cinnamon to 1/2 teaspoon, added grated nutmeg and about 3/4 cup blueberries. As others suggested, I baked it at 350 degrees. The best zucchini bread, ever. Because of these modifications, I gave the recipe 4 starts. But really, it's a fabulous basic recipe.