Recipe by candaceshaw
I found this recipe somewhere a few years ago; it's pretty much my favourite muffin recipe. Besides being relatively low calorie (especially when compared to anything you're going to buy in a cafe), it's absolutely delicious! I'll warn you that it's not a super-sweet muffin, and that the cranberries are the real stars - I usually add more than the recipe calls for. Without the lemon zest, these lose their great texture, so don't leave it out.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Since we do love lemons (not to mention the cranberries, as well!) I took Mikekey's suggestion & upped the amount of lemon zest to a full tablespoon AND added a bit of lemon extract as well! Lemon & cranberry make a very satisfying combo, & these muffins were wonderfully satisfying! Many thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (I use olive)
- 1⁄3 cup honey (maple syrup works too)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 dry ingredients in a small bowl, sifting well.
- Combine egg, milk, oil honey, and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 F for 20-25 min or until golden.