- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 eggs, yolks and white separated
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons yoghurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a 12 1/2 cup bundt or tube tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until nice and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat well after each one is added.
- Add the lemon rind and juice and yoghurt and stir.
- Sift together the flour, and baking powders (I just give them a round in my mixer- a trick a baker showed me) to mix them up.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites and salt till they form stiff peaks.
- Now gently fold the dry ingr.
- into the butter mix and then add a portion of the egg whites folding it inches Then add the remaining egg whites and fold gently.
- Pour into the tin and bake for around 50 minutes testing to see it the skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin itself to cool for around 15 minutes.
- Then turn it out and cool on a rack.
- Glaze: Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and mix to stir well.
- Add a little yoghurt at a time just enough to make a smooth mix.
- Put the cooled cake on the serving plate or board and then pour the glaze over and let sit till glaze is set.