Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
The glaze of this is special and so is the cake. From my favourite, tried and tested cake book 500 Fabulous Cakes and Bakes
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 eggs, yolks and white separated
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a 12 1/2 cup bundt or tube tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until nice and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat well after each one is added.
- Add the lemon rind and juice and yoghurt and stir.
- Sift together the flour, and baking powders (I just give them a round in my mixer- a trick a baker showed me) to mix them up.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites and salt till they form stiff peaks.
- Now gently fold the dry ingr.
- into the butter mix and then add a portion of the egg whites folding it inches Then add the remaining egg whites and fold gently.
- Pour into the tin and bake for around 50 minutes testing to see it the skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin itself to cool for around 15 minutes.
- Then turn it out and cool on a rack.
- Glaze: Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and mix to stir well.
- Add a little yoghurt at a time just enough to make a smooth mix.
- Put the cooled cake on the serving plate or board and then pour the glaze over and let sit till glaze is set.
Excellent cake. Very moist, tender, fluffy and lemony. Keeper! Thank you for sharing it.
Super lemon cake - wonderfully moist and lemony. Best recipe I have found for this type of cake so thanks so much for sharing it with us.
I love lemon, and I loved this cake! Thanks for sharing a fantastic recipe, this one is a keeper for me!