Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Add a bottle of wine, a fresh green salad and warm sourdough bread for a wonderful and delicious meal.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, cubed
- coarsely ground pepper
- 5 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Wash wild rice carefully and drain.
- In a large paella pan or large frying pan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- Add onion; saute until soft.
- Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add saffron and stir to dissolve.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add wild rice, basil, marjoram, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper; simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add sherry and simmer, covered, another 30 minutes or until most of the sherry is absorbed.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth, arborio rice, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, 20 minutes or until arborio rice is just tender but still firm to bite and mixture is creamy.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, salt, pepper, tomatoes, onions, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir until butter or margarine is melted.
- Serve immediately.