These two cookies that are like muffin tops are filled with lemon cream cheese frosting. Be sure to grate the zest before juicing the lemon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
LEMON CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven.]preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and butter the paper.
- 3To prepare the COOKIES.
- 4Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside,.
- 5In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until smoothly blended, about 1 minute.
- 6Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.
- 7Add the egg, lemon juice and vanilla, mixing until blended, about 1 minute.
- 8The batter may look curdled.
- 9On low speed, add half the flour mixture, mixing just to incorporate it.
- 10Mix in the buttermilk,.then the remaining flour just until it is incorporated and the batter looks smooth again.
- 11Drop by heaping tablspoons on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 3" apart.
- 12Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the tops feel firm, about 12 minutes.
- 13With the exception of a thin line at the edges, the tops of the cookies should not brown.
- 14Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 10 minutes, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 15To prepare the FILLING.
- 16In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice until thoroughly blended and smooth, about 1 minute.
- 17Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- 18If your filling is too soft to hold its shape, refrigerate until it is firmer, about 30 minutes.
- 19Turn half of the cookies bottom side up leaving 1/4" plain edge, use a thin metal spatula to spread each with almost 1/4 cup of filling. Gently press the bottoms of the remaining cookies onto the filling.
- 20Wrap each cookie in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 21The wrapped cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for oup to 4 days.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Whoopie Pies
Serving Size: 1 (1289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.6
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 232.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 67.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g