Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
Home-baked scones for breakfast on the weekend. These are really good ones.
Make and share this Lemon-Walnut Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml firmly packed light brown sugar
- 14.79 ml double-acting baking powder
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 88.74 ml cold butter, cut into bits
- 158.51 ml whole wheat flour
- 78.07 ml miller bran bran flour
- 177.44 ml chopped walnuts
- 158.51 ml raisins
- 22.18 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 large egg
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
an egg wash
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with
- 4.92 ml water
- softened butter (to accompany)
- assorted jam
- Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal and stir in whole wheat flour, bran, walnuts and raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon rind, egg and buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork until it just forms a sticky but manageable dough.
- Knead dough lightly on a floured surface for 30 seconds and pat gently into a ¾ inch thick round.
- Cut out rounds with a 2 2 ¼ inch cutter dipped in flour and arrange on a buttered baking sheet.
- Form scraps into a ball, reshape and cut more rounds.
- Brush tops with egg wash and bake in the middle of a preheated 390F oven for 15-17 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve warm.
With the raisins, whole wheat flour, zest & buttermilk, THESE SCONES HAVE GREAT TASTE, & I'd happily make them again especially for a satisfying breakfast! Great with a fruity butter or even a sweet honey butter! Thanks for the keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Bargan Basement cooking game]