Recipe by Mirj
An easy side dish that is always a hit in my house. I've been told that this is a Southern dish, but my mother claims she used to make this back when she lived in Sweden. Eat and decide.
Top Review by Derf
These beans are delicious!! I cut the recipe in half, so we had them for two nights and they were just as good reheated in the microwave. The combination of flavours, rosemary, lemon and onion and the crunch of the walnuts is great! I will be making a whole recipe of these for my contribution to Christmas dinner, I know everyone will love them Mirj, thanks for sharing.
- 3 lbs small green beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 12 sliced green onions
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, , toasted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped, crushed fresh rosemary or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped, crushed dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle beans with salt, and arrange in a steamer basket over boiling water.
- Cover and steam 8 to 12 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Plunge beans into cold water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add green onions, and saute until tender.
- Add green beans, walnuts, rosemary, and lemon juice; cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with lemon rind.
- Serve immediately.