4 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
I love biscotti with a rich smooth latte - yes, I'm a dunker. Like this version from Myrtle Killian at gourmet-desserts @yahoo.com because it doesn't have anise (after a youthful indiscretion with the dreaded ouzo I am pretty much done with anise... forever). These are mighty tasty without! Prep time includes chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon peel, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in medium bowl.
- 2Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1 1/3 cups sugar, and lemon peel in large bowl until blended. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating just to blend after each addition. Beat in lemon juice, then flour mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- 3Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Place each piece on sheet of plastic wrap. Using plastic wrap as aid, form dough into 8-inch-long logs. Press logs slightly, flattening to 2 1/2-inch-wide logs. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
- 4Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- 5Line heavy large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 6Unwrap logs, leaving on plastic. Brush top of logs with egg glaze. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Lift logs from plastic and transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly. Bake until golden brown and just firm to touch, about 50 minutes.
- 7Transfer to rack and cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- 8Line 2 heavy rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using long serrated knife, carefully cut logs crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange biscotti, cut-side down, on prepared baking sheets.
- 9Bake cookies until golden brown around edges, about 20 minutes. Cool completely (biscotti will crisp as they cool). (Can be made 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature. ).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Walnut Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.6 mg
- Sodium 54.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 1.8 g