Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
Waffles are definitely a weekend breakfast treat - this recipe comes from Christine Cushing. Adding the softly whipped egg whites to the batter will make the waffles nice and fluffy. Serve with pure Canadian maple syrup, fresh berries & whipped cream or pair with blueberry sauce (#78222)...to use Christine's words...wicked! Prep time includes "standing", cook time & # of servings has been estimated - it depends on your waffle iron.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 3⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter and the egg yolks until smooth.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the wet until just combined.
- Do not continue to stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let stand covered, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a clean, dry bowl whisk the egg whites until fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar while continuing to beat until whites hold soft peaks.
- Fold gently into batter.
- Ladle batter into prepared waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
My family really enjoys these waffles. The only problem is the 30 min. wait time. They aren't fond of that!!:) I too have forgotten the lemon and done the lemon juice but just isn't the same. Thanks for taking the time to post this recipe. Paddles.
These were so good and pretty easy to make! I got started on the recipe and realized that I had forgotten to pick up a lemon at the store, so, I replaced some of the milk with lemon juice (1.5 cup milk, 3/4 cup juice). For serving, I buttered the waffles, drizzled Lemon Sauce (Lemon Sauce) over the top, and then drizzled maple syrup over that-it was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe, C.L.!
This was very good although, I adapted it a little bit. I added the juice of the lemon as one other person suggested. I also decreased the eggs to 2 and substituted 1/4 C. whole wheat flour + 2 regular T of flour because I found it a little runny. In addition to that I added 3T sugar and placed blueberries over the batter before closing the waffle iron. Very, Very, Good!!!