Waffles are definitely a weekend breakfast treat - this recipe comes from Christine Cushing. Adding the softly whipped egg whites to the batter will make the waffles nice and fluffy. Serve with pure Canadian maple syrup, fresh berries & whipped cream or pair with blueberry sauce (#78222)...to use Christine's words...wicked! Prep time includes "standing", cook time & # of servings has been estimated - it depends on your waffle iron.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter and the egg yolks until smooth.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the wet until just combined.
- Do not continue to stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let stand covered, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a clean, dry bowl whisk the egg whites until fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar while continuing to beat until whites hold soft peaks.
- Fold gently into batter.
- Ladle batter into prepared waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.