Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lovely Lemon Verbena!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried lemon verbena
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons dried lemon peel
- 4 eggs
- Blend all ingredients by hand until moistened, then mix for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured 4 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch loaf pans and put in pre-heated 325 degree oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack before removing from pan.
- Alternatively, bake in 5 small loaf pans for about 30 minutes.
WOW! I have two lemon verbena plants growing in my garden - the most fabulous plant, by the way. I drink water by the gallon when I add lemon verbena, oranges, limes, and lemons. This cake is fantastic - my family ate two loaves in a matter of days. Great recipe. Thank you for sharing a great way to use my fabulous lemon verbena!
Perfect! What a very lovely cake. I adore lemon verbena. I made it as written and it was very good. A great pound cake that could stand on it's own. I had to take it to the next level of course ;) I made my own Strawberry and Mango Bruschetta Dessert the day after I made the cake with what was left of it. I had never made it with a lemon flavored cake before and the flavors were so perfect together! I love when two or more Zaar recipes come together like that. I will be making this again soon! made and Reviewed for Every Day Holiday Tag - Thanks! :)
Buddha made this for brunch today using lemon zest for the verbena (not an easy item to find around here) The wonderful flavor of lemon still came thru deliciously. We were a bit dissapointed that it did not rise (we halved the recipe to make 1 loaf). We also felt next time we would use melted butter in place of the vegetable oil to add a bit of creaminess to it. We used it to make Cream Cheese and Nutella Filled Pound Cake and it was perfect. This is a very moist, lemony pound cake. Thanks for sharing. :)