Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A trio of flavored Infusions or Syrups for Lemonade etc.! I've included three different flavored infusions --- Herbal (my favorite is Lemon Verbena!), Lemon-Ginger, and Vanilla --- all from the same basic hot sugar-water base recipe. Perfectly lovely drizzled over pancakes, pastries, ice creams, or fruit salad, -or- stir into your favorite beverage such as tea, lemonade, ice-water, or cocktails. Recipe adapted slightly from BH&G.
- In a saucepan combine water and sugar. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add one of the infusions; boil gently, uncovered, for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat; cover and cool in saucepan for 1 hour. Remove and discard infusion ingredients.
- Transfer syrup to a clean covered storage container. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks, or may be frozen. Makes 2 cups syrup.
- VANILLA INFUSION: Add one fresh vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, to the hot sugar-water mixture. If desired, after cooling, remove the vanilla bean and use the tip of a small knife to scrape the seeds from the beans into the syrup (flecks of dark seeds will color the crystal-clear syrup).
- FRESH HERB INFUSION: Add three 3-to-4-inch sprigs fresh rosemary; 3/4 cup lemon-verbena or mint leaves, slightly crushed; or 3/4 cup basil leaves, slightly crushed, to the hot sugar-water mixture.
- LEMON-GINGER INFUSION: Add three 1x3-inch strips of lemon peel and a 1-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced, to the hot sugar-water mixture.