Recipe by Tee Lee
Venison steaks are cooked with lemon juice, then topped with bacon and sauteed onions. Good served with wild rice. From "Wild Bounty" cookbook.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs venison, 1-inch thick cutlets from backstrap
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a large skillet.
- Remove slices, leaving 2 tbsp drippings in skillet, but reserving remaining drippings.
- Add onion to skillet and sprinkle with sugar, cook about 3-5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Remove onion and return reserved bacon drippings to skillet.
- Place venison cutlets in skillet, squeeze a small amount of lemon juice on each cutlet and season with lemon pepper.
- Cook about 5 minutes on each side, until center is still slightly pink.
- Top cutlets with crumbled bacon and onion and reheat.
- Serve immediately.