Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got the recipe from Betty Crocker.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces betty crocker supermoist lemon cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- lemon twist, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Grease bottoms only of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with shortening (do not use cooking spray).
- Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs. Pour into pans.
- Bake and cool as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, milk and 1 tablespoon lemon peel with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Beat in whipping cream and powdered sugar. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake layer horizontally to make 2 layers. (To cut, mark side of cake with toothpicks and cut with long, thin knife.) Fill each layer with 1/2 cup whipped cream mixture. Frost side and top of cake with remaining whipped cream mixture. Garnish with additional lemon twist. Store in refrigerator.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude directions on box for 8- or 9-inch pans.
- If softening cream cheese in the microwave, transfer to a chilled bowl and continue as directed in step 3.
- Time Saver:
- For a quick frosting, stir 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel into each of 2 containers (12 oz each) Betty Crocker® Whipped whipped cream frosting.
- Create a Citrus Velvet Cream Cake by substituting orange peel for the lemon peel and garnishing top of cake with mandarin orange segments.
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 5 Fat.