Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love lemon desserts. Tart and not too sweet. If the cake is going to stand for a while use the glaze as the sugar will be absorbed in humid conditions. I thank Bill's Personal Cook for this one:)
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot water (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter in large bowl with mixer.
- Add lemon and orange zest.
- Cream until smooth and light, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar, blending well and scraping sides of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- In a small bowl, combine water, lemon and orange juices.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the liquids.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Spoon into prepared pan--smoothing the surface.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden on top and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
- A thin lemon glaze also works nicely.
This is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten!! I made it in two 9" cake pans, and baked them for 22 minutes .. Thank you for a wonderful recipe!!
Hello riffraff; Made your cake yesterday afternoon. Used the recipe as you have it printed. The only thing I did differently was to bake it in 2 - 9 inch pans and baked for 30 minutes. It turned out just beautiful, a light lemony color. I then cooled the cakes for about 10 minutes, then removed from pans onto a wire rack for about 10 more minutes. Then placed one layer on a plate, spread the lemon sauce over, then placed the second layer and spread over the top and let it run down the sides. The cake turned out with a nice lemony taste, light and a fantastic color. The taste was phenomenol. I thoroughly enjoyed having the first piece just as is, now I will have the next piece with ice cream. Thank you for posting this marvellous recipe, and yes, it was easy to make. Unfortunately the rating does not go beyond 5. "Uncle Bill"
I didn't care for this recipe. The cake had a rather bland flavor with no "tart" lemony over or undertones. I followed the recipe exactly and used two 8" cake pans with a total bake time of 25 minutes. It looked great and baked well otherwise. After letting it sit a half day there was an improvement in it. Will try it again!