Recipe by riffraff
I love lemon desserts. Tart and not too sweet. If the cake is going to stand for a while use the glaze as the sugar will be absorbed in humid conditions. I thank Bill's Personal Cook for this one:)
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot water (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter in large bowl with mixer.
- Add lemon and orange zest.
- Cream until smooth and light, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar, blending well and scraping sides of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- In a small bowl, combine water, lemon and orange juices.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the liquids.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Spoon into prepared pan--smoothing the surface.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden on top and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
- A thin lemon glaze also works nicely.