Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A very different rice dish with a nice tang. Good hot or cold.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 2 lemons
- 4 scallions
- mint (optional) or parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in pot over low heat.
- Dice carrot and onion about 1/4 inch.
- Add to pot and saute 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finely zest and juice both lemons.
- Bring water, zest and lemon juice to a boil in same pot.
- Stir in rice, reduce heat and simmer covered until water is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes, fluff. Sprinkle with parlsey or mint and chopped scallions.