Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This tray bake is based on the tray bake recipie, P. 87, in Louise Walkers book "The Traditional AGA Book of Breads & Cakes"
- Grease and line the small roasting tin (or 13" x 11" baking tin) with bake-o-glide.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the juice and grated rind of one lemon.
- Sift the flour/baking powder mixture into the wet ingredients and fold in gently.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and gently smooth the top.
- For the AGA - hang the tin on the bottom set of runners in the roasting oven and put the cold plain shelf in on the second set of runners from the top. Bake for 25 to 30 mins or until cooked.
- In a normal oven bake at the temperature and time you would normally use for a sponge cake. When I had a gas oven it was gas mark 6 for 20- 25 minutes. I've never had an electric oven, sorry.
- Leave in the tin for ten minutes after taking out of the oven. Then take out of the tin and leave to cook completely on a wire rack.
- For the icing - beat the butter until creamy then add the icing sugar a tablespoon at a time.
- When all the sugar is incorporated add the lemon rind and juice and beat well.
- Spread the icing over the cake.