Recipe by Kathy(
A special dessert and has a beautiful appearance. Light and delicious. I like it for special summer occasions. Long prep time does includes chilling time.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 6 beaten egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 10 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- fresh raspberry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper; draw three 7" circles and grease lightly.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and almond extract on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks.
- Spoon 1/3 of this mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe a lattice design in one circle; pipe a border around the lattice.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Spread remaining egg white mixture over remaining circles.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off; let meringues dry in oven 3 hours or over night (DO NOT open oven door).
- In saucepan combine 2/3 cup sugar and gelatin.
- Add yolks, lemon peel, lemon juice, butter, and 1/3 cup water.
- Cook and stir until bubbly; cook 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover lemon mixture surface with waxed paper; cool.
- Chill until mixture mounds slightly when spooned.
- Beat whipping cream to soft peaks; fold into lemon mixture.
- Place one solid meringue on serving plate; spread with half the lemon mixture.
- Top with second solid meringue, spread with remaining lemon mixture, top with lattice meringue.
- Cover loosely; chill 6 hours or overnight.
- Serve with raspberry sauce, garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Sauce: In saucepan combine raspberries, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Cook until bubbly; cook 2 more minutess.
- Press through a fine sieve; discard seeds.
- Cover sauce; chill.