Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
A tangy, flavorful pasta dish and one of my personal favorites.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 green onions with tops, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (8 ounce) package tofu, cubed
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti, cooked
- Marinate tofu in the juice of the lemons while preparing the rest of the sauce.
- Add some zest to the juice as well.
- Be sure that all of the tofu absorbs some lemon juice.
- Combine tomatoes, oil, parsley, green onion, and basil; cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tofu and about half of the lemon juice to the tomatoes and onion with pepper; cook 5-7 minutes.
- Serve over pasta.
I liked this a lot. I served it with the Spaghetti Squash Saute from this site instead of pasta, and it was a great combination.
This was really good! I changed the amounts a bit: I used a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, 1 lb of tofu, 3 green onions (and thought it could use more) and a 375g package of spaghetti (very slightly more than 3/4 lb). The amount of tomatoes worked well so I suspect that 14.5 oz of tomatoes wouldn't give enough sauce, at least not for my tastes. Also threw in some baby spinach. Oh yeah, I also put ALL the lemon juice into the sauce... which is why my boyfriend didn't like it nearly as much as I did, lol! (I love lemon.) I was thinking 4 or 5 stars but BF said 3, so I settled on 4. Great recipe that I'll be making again!
I'm not a vegetarian but thought this meal was quick, easy to prepare and delicious.