Recipe by Pets'R'us
This is my "summer Tiramisu" The original recipe uses one packet of sponge fingers, but I use more to get more coverage on this size of tin. I also added the lemon zest and find it is not too tart, you can leave it out of course if you are not sure about it. You don't have to make this in a spring form pan, if you like to scoop it out of a dish, use whatever suits you. I sometimes use trifle sponges or plain cake instead of the sponge fingers. Oh... the lemons are low fat and very healthy!
Top Review by chia
10 stars! this is to die for! the sweet light creamy lemony taste was just wonderful! i used amber rum, and i did mess up on the ladyfingers, i only had enough for 1 layer so i made it more like a cheesecake. i took your advice and used a springform pan, topped it with the lemon zest and sugar and refrigertaed it overnight. it held it's shape, sliced easily, tasted marvelous- what more could anyone want????
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 4 tablespoons brandy or 4 tablespoons white rum
- 4 ounces caster sugar, divided
- 1 (9 ounce) packet sponge cake fingers (or more)
- 2 (9 ounce) containers mascarpone cheese
- 4 -5 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 150 ml cream
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated mixed with
- some demerara sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the lemon juice, brandy and 2 oz of the sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Set aside so the sugar has time to dissolve.
- Get ready a 9-inch spring form pan; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a very clean bowl, using clean beaters whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, start on a slow, gradually on a higher speed.
- Whip the cream also to a soft peak.
- Beat together the remaining sugar, mascarpone, lemon curd, egg yolks and the lemon zest.
- Then you fold the cream in the mascarpone mixture, followed by the egg whites using a metal spoon.
- Stir the lemon/brandy mix and dip the fingers in, line the bottom of the dish with them, sprinkle some extra liquid over the biscuits, you will usually have enough.
- Spoon half of the mascarpone mix over the biscuits, dip remaining fingers and arrange on the top, sprinkle again with brandy lemon juice if you have some left, followed by the rest of the mascarpone.
- Level the top using a palette knife, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, if using, sprinkle the lemon/sugar mix over the top, remove from the tin (if necessary run a knife around the rim) place on a serving plate and cut in wedges.