Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was one of the first muffin recipes I made, many years ago, and it is still one of my favourites.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until light.
- Gradually stir in the lemon juice, alternately with the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold 1/3 of the the egg whites into the batter, then follow with the remaining egg whites.
- Fill paper-lined or greased 2-1/2 inch muffin cups until they are three-quarters full.
- In another small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Cool in the pan, set on a wire rack for five minutes.
- Remove from the pan and serve warm.
These were lovely...they were very light and the topping was a nice bit of crispy-ness! Thanks Sackville