I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from a cookbook years ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk or 1 1/4 cups sour milk
- 1/2 cup shortening or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons shredded lemon peel or 4 tablespoons lime peel or 4 tablespoons orange peel
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 tablespoons lime juice or 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water (or more)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1Heat oven to 350.
- 2Grease and flour a baking pan.
- 3Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 4Add the milk, shortening and vanilla.
- 5Mix together.
- 6Add the egg whites, 1 tablespoon citrus peels, and 1 tablespoon citrus juice.
- 7Mix together and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 8Cool for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove from baking pan and cool completely.
- 10While cakes are cooling mix together the icing ingredients 3 tablespoons shredded lemon peel, 3 tbl lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water and the powdered sugar.
- 11Using s serrated knife, trim edges and top of cake so smooth and straight. Cut 1 1/2 inch squares, diamonds, hearts or circles. Brush off crumbs and place cake pieces on wax paper.
- 12Insert long fork into cake hold over icing drip icing over cake. Cover sides, and top.
- 13Place iced cakes on wire rack. Making sure the cakes don't touch. Repeat. Let dry 15 minutes.
- 14Repeat with second layer of icing place cake on top of fork. Do not poke cake.
- 15To decorate, let icing dry. Top with icing flowers, candied violets and lilacs, edible flowers, silver decorative candies or melted semisweet chocolate drizzled. Cover cakes in covered container for up to 48 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Tea Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (1618 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 45.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 1.4 g