Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from a cookbook years ago.
Make and share this Lemon Tea Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄4 cups sour milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons shredded lemon peel or 4 tablespoons lime peel or 4 tablespoons orange peel
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 tablespoons lime juice or 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water (or more)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a baking pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk, shortening and vanilla.
- Mix together.
- Add the egg whites, 1 tablespoon citrus peels, and 1 tablespoon citrus juice.
- Mix together and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from baking pan and cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling mix together the icing ingredients 3 tablespoons shredded lemon peel, 3 tbl lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water and the powdered sugar.
- Using s serrated knife, trim edges and top of cake so smooth and straight. Cut 1 1/2 inch squares, diamonds, hearts or circles. Brush off crumbs and place cake pieces on wax paper.
- Insert long fork into cake hold over icing drip icing over cake. Cover sides, and top.
- Place iced cakes on wire rack. Making sure the cakes don't touch. Repeat. Let dry 15 minutes.
- Repeat with second layer of icing place cake on top of fork. Do not poke cake.
- To decorate, let icing dry. Top with icing flowers, candied violets and lilacs, edible flowers, silver decorative candies or melted semisweet chocolate drizzled. Cover cakes in covered container for up to 48 hours.