1 hr 15 mins
This luscious, lemony loaf cake goes together fast, travels well- you can pop it back in the loaf pan once it has cooled to protect it en route- and stays moist. No one will guess this moist, sweet cake with a bright citrus tang is low-fat and made entirely with whole-wheat flour. Feel free to double the recipe and freeze the second loaf for future take-along use. From the newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2To make batter:.
- 3Beat sugar, oil, eggs, lemon juice and zest with an electric mixer for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until pale and thick.
- 4Gradually pour in buttermilk, and beat until smooth.
- 5Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- 6Stir flour mixture into egg mixture with a wooden spoon.
- 7Pour the batter into prepared loaf pans.
- 8Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inverted in the center comes out clean.
- 9To make glaze:.
- 10Warm lemon juice, honey and sugar in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 11Pierce top of hot cake all over with wooden skewer or toothpick.
- 12Generously brush honey glaze over bread so it seeps into holes.
- 13Cool 20 minutes in pan. Unmold, and cool on wire rack before wrapping in plastic wrap to store.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Tea Cake With Honey Glaze (Low-Fat and Whole-Wheat)
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.1
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 31.8 mg
- Sodium 221.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g